Monday 16 April 2012

Listen Closely

What was that? I am allowed to listen to the lecture from the comfort of my own bed this week? SCORE!

The Sound lecture of week 5 was a really different experience. Sure, we've all listened to lectures online, but just hearing voices with no visual was definitely a first for me. I really felt like I was listening to a local radio.

I will admit, I've never been a huge fan of talkback radio myself. I once worked for a business that had ............ - it was that uninteresting I can not even remember the station - blaring from the speakers. Every morning I would turn up half asleep to listen to a man and his callers discuss recent events. However, I did occasionally find myself wanting to voice my opinion about the matters. And I guess that's what they were after; the public calling up to say what they think. Even though I wasn't a fan of the station, I still found myself wanting to become involved.

An interesting point I picked up from Richard (I feel as though we could be on first name basis as the lecture sounded quite intimiate, like a radio piece) was the need to take a different approach. Too many times I have heard the same celebrities tell the exact same story. Like when Kim Kardashian visited Australia whilst in the gut of her divorce. Each interviewer asked the same questions, and Kim had a monotonous, rehearsed answer to each one. No one took a different angle, no one surprised her.

I was recently listening to the Kyle and Jackie O Show while they interviewed Brian McFadden. From the beginning they were asking questions completely out of the box. One question was about social media and ended with Brian having a big rant about Facebook and Twitter and he seemed to be really out of his shell. It is the only recent interview I can recall that really caught my attention, and this is because it was a side of Brian I hadn't heard before.

Although I don't think I will ever love talkback radio, I can appreciate where good radio work lies.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment