Thursday 29 March 2012

Media Use Diary





We all rely on media within our lives. We may not realise how much, or how little we use compared to other people in society. I have logged my media usage over a period of ten days, and was quite surprised at my limited media usage compared to what is available in the world of technology.

Below is a table of my media usage over a period of ten days (in minutes):

<><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><> <><><><><><>

Media

Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

Day 4

Day 5

Day 6

Day 7

Day 8

Day 9

Day 10

Facebook

45

15

30

45

60

60

120

120

30

60

Twitter

20

20

-

-

-

-

20

-

-

30

Blogging

15

60

-

40

-

-

20

-

-

30

Emailing

-

-

-

-

15

-

-

-

15

15

Online News

-

30

-

20

-

60

30

20

45

-

TV News

30

30

30

30

-

30

-

60

60

-


This table illustrates my media usage can be divided into three main categories.

1.       Social Media – Facebook, Twitter, Blogging, Email

2.       Online news

3.       TV news

Media Usage Groups Over 10 Day Period

(x = days, y = minutes)


It is obvious most of my usage lies within social media. Although I was aware of this before I logged, I did not notice the considerable difference. This is primarily because of ‘new’ media. With new media we are able to access news through almost any media outlet. As I am not from Brisbane, I often use Facebook to keep track of events occurring in my home town. It may not be the most detailed news, but it is available to me when I need it.
In a recent survey of 436 university students, it is clear a large amount of their media usage also lies within social media. The following shows social media split up into separate elements.

JOUR 1111 Survey – Social Media


The graph shows Facebook is the very prominent winner when it comes to media usage. 91.9% of students spend most of their internet time on Facebook. New media has a definite role in this. A huge 78.2% of students own a smart phone and 95.4% use Facebook as an app. This means Facebook can be accessed on the go at any time. I spend more time using the app than on my laptop, as I am usually on it when I am not home. This links with what I earlier mentioned, with Facebook also being a news tool for easy access.
It is interesting to note only 10% of students used Twitter. This was before we were required to join for our assessment. Although I never used Twitter before, I now check it almost daily. I would guarantee many other students would do the same. I often now use Twitter for news updates: news groups like Brisbane Times and Courier Mail have constant, quick news updates keeping me informed.
My media usage is not vast, but that may be because I have not been introduced to many media outlets. If I had not been required to join Twitter I probably never would have; now I realise what a convenience it is to have for updates. Although my main media use is social networking, new media provides a strong use of journalism and communication within all networks.

No comments:

Post a Comment